Control Builder Freelance
Re-designing ABB's engineering tool.
What is Control Builder Freelance?
Control Builder Freelance is an IEC 61131-3 languages programming IDE from ABB for engineers to program industrial automation applications.
1. Perform user research & usability testing for understanding problems with current software, user needs
2. Re-design to optimize the task flow of the application with requirements based on user research.
ABB Corporate Research
Qualitative methods such as Think-aloud protocol & semi structured interview was conducted with 7 participants (all electrical engineers).
Key insights from the study are as follows,
1. Navigation between the editors - the biggest pain-point for end users
2. End user mostly configure using only two of the five editors
3. The tree-based structural arrangement - chaotic
4. Too many steps for frequently used tasks - problem